6/25/2006

Pitching stud called up.

Jeremy Sowers was called up Friday from Triple A Buffalo and will make his Major League debut on sunday against the reds.

Sowers stats look like cy young material: 9-1 with a 1.39 ERA.

unfortunately, those numbers dont count in the big leagues but it was certainly enough to warrant a chance in Cleveland.

"I'm just going to do what I do and hopefully it turns out ok" a nervous but excited Sowers said in an interview on saturday. " it was just nice to be at the park and participate in warmups and meet all the guys".

Hopefully the indians offense will wake up and give him some run support to work with. Building this kids confidence is the most important thing right now but with the way the Indians are playing its a dangerous situation.

Hes been compared to the likes of Tom Glavine and Chris Capuano, but better.

Jason Johnson was traded to the red sox for a player to be named later and/or cash which ultimately opened the door for Sowers.

a little too late shapiro...If they think this kid is the answer to this teams problems they are dead wrong. I know this kid will be a star but to keep him in the minors for so long when Johnson was getting lit up is just ridiculous. He wouldnt have done any worse. The indians owned johnson last year and then they turn around and sign him? ugh.

Cleveland dropped fridays contest against the reds 3-0 but responded 4-0 on saturday behind a great start by pitcher Paul Byrd. Hollandsworth and Sizemore homered.

Notes: I didnt take a journal with me on my trip so im going to have to wing it. I'll post game by game analysis later this week. I will say this though, Travis Hafner hit the farthest home run I have ever seen.